If you are looking to sell a used clarinet, you might have several questions that you need answers for:
- What does the value of my old clarinet depend on?
- How much is a used or old clarinet worth?
- Which places buy and sell used clarinets?
In this article, we will cover all of these clarinet topics and more.
What Factors Influence the Value of a Used Clarinet?
The number one factor for the selling price of used clarinets will be the instrument’s condition. This aspect can greatly affect its resale value. If it is cracked it will sell for significantly less and take longer to sell.
On the other hand, clarinets that are still in good condition might resell for a considerable amount.
The ones that are in perfect mechanical condition or that at least can still achieve such a level with a proper inspection and repair might be a good source of income.
After identifying your clarinet’s condition, you might be wondering: can I expect to make a profit when selling my used or old clarinet? What’s the value of a used clarinet?
Apart from its overall condition, its value will also depend on:
- the quality of the instrument
- which brand and model it is
- how old it is and how rare it is in the market
- is it a wooden or plastic clarinet
- does it include accessories, like a case or reeds (cane or synthetic)
Being the clarinet one of the most popular school band instruments, there is a constant demand for such instruments in some of the most famous online marketplaces as well as on music local stores. And used clarinets, offer a great alternative to brand new models or even to clarinet rental options.
Whether beginners looking for their first student clarinet or more experienced players, looking for a second option instrument, or transitioning to a new brand or model, many are willing to buy a used clarinet.
How Much Is a Used Clarinet Worth?
It will be highly dependent on the factors mentioned above, but an old or used clarinet with little damage might be valued between $200 and $600.
One which is in a not-so-good condition could be priced at no more than $150 to $200, with some having higher prices just due to its brand or the specific model.
According to Reverb.com, here are some prices listed, considering some of the most popular and on higher demand clarinet models in the market.
Used Yamaha Clarinet
- Student model: $200-$500. For example, the Yamaha YCL-20 Bb Standard Clarinet
- Intermediate: $600-$1300. Prices for used models of the Intermediate clarinet Yamaha YCL-450
- Professional: $1000-$2000. Price ranges for most used Yamaha Professional clarinet models
Used Selmer Clarinet
- Student Models: $350-$600. Examples of used Selmer Clarinet models
- Professional models from $1000-$4000
Used Buffet R13 Clarinet
- An instrument suiting most player levels, with most used models ranging between $900-$2000
Where Can I Sell My Clarinet?
Some of the best places to sell or buy a used clarinet are online marketplaces, music stores, and pawn shops.
We’ve covered an entire article related to selling used instruments, examining those places, and some tips or factors to consider when doing so.
The most famous online marketplaces to sell a clarinet are eBay, Amazon, eBay, Amazon, or Facebook Marketplace. However, if you are willing to target more knowledgeable buyers, look for more specialized online marketplaces like Reverb.com, which is specifically geared toward musical equipment.
Do pawn shops take clarinets? Most pawn shops have strict policies when it comes to instruments like clarinets but some will still buy them depending on the instrument’s condition and popularity in their location. If you are selling your used clarinet there, they will likely give you the lowest possible price.
Are Old Clarinets Worth Anything?
Older clarinets can sometimes even be worth more than newer ones because they might have some history behind them. However, there are factors that you should consider when trying to determine the value of your old clarinet.
For example, an older instrument with lower quality will not be as valuable as one that is in good condition and from a popular brand and model. As well, a newer used clarinet will be of less value than the same clarinet brand new.
How Much Does It Cost to Repair a Clarinet?
Repairing your used clarinet might mean increasing its market value instantly.
Generally, it will cost you anywhere from $25 to $100 for repairing them, depending on the condition and what maintenance works need to be done.
Try always to take it to an expert in repairing clarinets, as this might be the difference between having a great recovered and valued instrument or one that won’t sell for as much as it would be possible.
They should also give you an exact estimate of how much it might be worth if you are willing to sell it, as well as if it can get repaired in full or not.
As well, it’s important to note that after every time the clarinet is played it needs to be swabbed out with a swab, which can be purchased online or at any music store. This will help to keep the clarinet in good condition and keep water from affecting it.
How Long Does It Take to Repair a Clarinet?
This can depend on the type of damage, but a typical repair will take around 2 hours.
Author: Cooper White
- Cooper is a Multi-Instrumentalist, with vast knowledge and experience performing with Sax, Flute, Clarinet, Keyboard, and Blues Harmonica.
- With a Bachelor’s Degree from the Berklee College of Music in Boston and studies in Classical Performance at the Lionel Hampton School of Music, he has also more than 10 years of performing professionally, whether while road touring in the U.S. or playing on different cruise ships.
- He is also an entertainer with his shows, as well as a producer of his music and others. Whenever he is not performing, he teaches individual online classes. He mostly plays Jazz, Classical and Popular music.